(Un)expected behaviour

Recently i’ve stumbled upon the interesting article, called “How to be an indie game developer“. And from there jumped directly to the Derek Yu’s blog, the “Finishing a game” post. There was a phrase which really rustled my jimmies, it said “ACTUALLY START THE DAMN GAME“. The thing is, i didn’t. Spent a year making a game engine with various systems, but without the actual game. I know why it is precisely, it was because i’ve been making the whole “X-Com with whistles” thing, and “X-Com” already described what gameplay i could possibly aim for. Read On →

Spritework

Spent this week updating the sprites. It’s a step up from “gibberish nonsense” to “not final assets!”. Don’t mind the hair please.

sprites_all

Read On →

Major polishing

I’m taking a step back in productivity to ensure quality of the forthcoming 0.6. While usually it was rather sthraightforward utilitary building, release demands a certain level of quality, like some furniture, and maybe i’ll drop some junk here and there to make it look like i care about the first impression. Obviously i do. Attachment points are now back to what they used to be: two needed to create a connection. Read On →

FOV tier I

Long time no news, since i was in an unexpected family trip. A little bit of fresh air to keep the brains integral. That means i haven’t been able to do much (lame pixel art attempts on a touchpad don’t count). And gaining back that work spirit after such a short rest was frighteningly harder than it should be. I’ve concluded, after some extrapolation, that if i’d leave the project for longer than two months, i’d probably never be able to return. Read On →

Editor: engage sprite mode

Just finished basic version of the sprite editor (actually the only part i’ve really need but whatever). It looks like slenderman/shiva alien hybrid, but is actually a human. I haven’t updated the sprite for a new human model, so it draws hand/leg sprites for both upper and lower parts. Totally intentional. Otherwise it’s a nice tool. Of course, work flow should be more streamlined, but i’ll get to it when there’ll be some actual workflow regarding sprites.

May progress report

Much text. Some pictures. What’s done: Optimisation pass. Getting rid of some hasty and sometimes stupid solutions yielded up to 80% better performance in some cases (250×250 field, 1x zoom, FPS from 20 to nominal 60). BSO construction editor. + save/append into existing files for convenience. Mechanics. Base structures, custom actions and data fields. Done most of the underlying work for the scripting. Added basic script support to the SDL.NET Viewport. Read On →

Scripting p.2

Good scripting engine should: Know much about the standard game types and allow script to manipulate any public data within the context of the object. Be able to enhance standard game types with custom implementations of well-known methods (OnNewTurn(), OnIntegrityChange(), etc). Be able to enhance standard game types with custom data fields, which should be available both from the engine and from the script too. Provide means to deploy completely custom named methods and ensure their accessibility both from the main code and from the script code (Prime(), Fire(), DoStuff(), FluffyDogs()). Read On →

Scripting approach

Alright, now that the editor is ready and so is the physical part of the game world, i can turn to the more interesting and complex thing: mechanics.

Read On →

April news

Alright, that was quite a pause between the posts. Wish i could say it wouldn’t happen again. In the retrospective, this month wasn’t very productive, but still i’ve managed to do some tricks. Sprite system is functional on 65%. Rest is lighting masks and animation sets. I’ve also accidentally an editor. Initially it was planned to be done later, but then sprites said “Nope” and hit integrator code went rogue, so i’ve had to force building a tool that will put everything in place. Read On →

Sprites

Sprites now loaded via xml maps and rendered according to the object state and orientation.

Read On →